Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Beer Post: 2011 Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Hawai'i Edition

Hey, look, a beer post!  I haven't done one of these in months (I kinda ran out of things to say), but I'm back on the topic of beer!  

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"


Football is back, and with it comes that most honored of American traditions: the tailgate.  Since CU is starting on the road this year, the roommates and I are hosting a massive blowout.  We're cramming 6 couches into the living room in order to accommodate upwards of 25 people.  There will be beer, beer games, food, and the typical dollop of debauchery.  I can't wait.

Hawai'i is back on the schedule, so that means another trip out to the islands for some brew.  I can't help but go with something from my favorite brewery on the Islands: Kona Brewing.  I love almost everything they make (I tabbed their Wailua Wheat for the Hawai'i game last year), so I have plenty of options to choose from.  Being partial to the lovely flavor of hops, I'm going to tab Kona's Fire Rock Pale Ale as my Tailgate beer-o-the-week.

FR is Kona's take on the now ubiquitous American-style Pale Ale.  They call it "hawaiian style", but all the hops come from the Pacific Northwest (and there's a good chance what you drink from them is brewed in Oregon), so its taste closely resembles its west coast brethren.   A nice amount of citrusy hops are balanced by a sweet malt to create a very tasty session pale ale.  It's not as in your face as other American Pale Ales, but that's what you'd expect from the laid-back Islanders at Kona.

In honor of this weeks opponent, and the paradise they reside in, I'm making sure that a full 6-pack of Kona Brewing's Fire Rock Pale Ale will be reserved for my personal consumption.


Happy Friday!  Go Buffs!  Beat Hawai'i!


No comments: