Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Monday Grab Bag: It's Tuesday, and I'm back edition

I'm back from California, and rearing to go!  I'm sure there's plenty of Buff news to dissect...what's that?  You say that since it's the middle of May essentially nothing is happening?  Hrmmm... I guess I'll have to talk recruiting news and pointless coaching rumors.  Additionally, I'll touch on the Bulls being awesome.

On with the bag...



Boyle unsurprisingly says 'no' to A&M - I news that surprised no one, Texas A&M talked with CU basketball coach Tad Boyle about filling the post recently vacated by departing mentor Mark Turgeon.  Even more unsurprising was the 'no thanks' Tad threw back at them.

It absolutely makes sense for the Aggies to look at Boyle for the gig; continuity in a winning program being key, and the allure of a successful Turgeon disciple would be hard for A&M to pass up. But the thing schools like A&M and OU are missing is that Tad isn't leaving CU after only one year for a slight step up in the power conference ranks.  Even with the massive loss in on-paper production from the '10-'11 squad, Boyle is leading the program through one of it's more comfortable offseasons in years (what with the new practice facility about to open, a slew of quality players ready to step in to the lineup, and decent talent willing to consider CU on the recruiting trail), for him to leave after only one season for a school not named KU would seem aberrant.  Two seasons, however...

I think the debate over weather to extend Tad is pointless; he needs a raise, if not in years then certainly cash.  The good news on that front is, as Thorburn hinted last week, the new Pac-12 TV deal should allow CU to send some serious cash Tads way.


Buffs land a QB - The good news from the football recruiting trail has CU landing a highly regarded QB prospect out of California.  Shane Dillon, from El Cajon, CA, announced his commitment to the black and gold last week.  He's a lanky 6-5 kid who is rated as either a 4 or a 3 star depending on which service you pay attention to.  Rivals even has him in their national top 250!  Not bad for a school that hasn't had a high-ish rated QB prospect in 5 years.  Assuming he actually does start attending classes in Boulder, he will be more than welcome on the depth chart.
Dillon should definitely be able to compete for the starting job if he ends up on campus. From: Rivals

Bulls rock Heat in game 1 - Hell Yeah!  That's what I'm talking about.  The Heat came in with the swagger, but the Bulls walked out with the 21 point first game victory Sunday night in their Conference Finals tilt.  Chicago continues to spread the court and play defense enough to win, and sent a statement to the basketball world that a big 1 (D-Rose) with a solid team around him is better than a big 3 (Lebron, Wade, and Bosh) with a bunch of empty jerseys who could care less.
Lol, Wade got posterized.

I'm down with the theory that the reason the Bulls struggled with the Pacers and Hawks in the first two rounds was that those two teams were willing and able to do the dirty little things necessary to disrupt Derrick Rose.  Conversely, I don't think the Heat have that killer edge to them.  There's a reason that the Bulls have yet to lose to the Heat this season, afterall.  Sure, the Heat will probably outscore their way to a win in Florida, but Chicago should slide it's way to the Finals in 5 games.

I participated in a 12k - Outside of some serious beer discussion on the horizon, the only vacation story I will impart is my participation in the 100th running of San Francisco's annual Bay to Breakers 12k race.  When I say participation I mean I totally ran that shit.  And when I say I ran that shit, I mean I joined the course for half a mile, smoking a cigar, and doing some serious people watching.
 
Think of B2B like Halloween with sunshine.  The mostly non-serious "race" includes floats, costumes, and a ton of alcohol.  It was a giant, slowly moving party.  And it was a blast to be a part of, if only for an hour.  I'd post pictures, but none of them are suitable for family viewing.


Happy Tuesday!

No comments: