Just think, after Friday we won't have to pretend to care about the program for at least 8-9 months. Sure, next season will be another bout with football-as-ebola, but we can all cross that bridge together when we get there. For now, let's just celebrate the end of football season! HAPPY DAYS!
The season concludes Friday afternoon at 1pm. TV coverage is set for FX (man, those guys are getting screwed), with radio coverage set for 850 KOA. Conversely, it's the Friday after Thanksgiving, so you could go shopping instead. Or sleep in, and do something else.
Hey, would someone remember to turn out the lights in Folsom before they lock-up the stadium for the year?
Click below for the preview...
When last we met -
Last season's preview can be found here.
Through a strong defensive performance, and a mountain of good luck in the form of three missed Ute field goal attempts, the Buffs finally snapped the program-defining 24-game road losing streak (remember that?) last year in Salt Lake City. As the potential game-tying field goal attempt sailed wide, the largest senior class in program history roared with delight, finally claiming the one goal that they had set for themselves at the start of the season.
|While the defense played near perfect football, the offense had just enough to squeak out a win. From: the Post|
The home fans could sense it too, reacting violently to the struggles, even throwing debris at the celebrating Buffs. It was a sharp renewal of the long dormant rivalry.
|Sad Ute needs a hug. From: the Post|
Opponent's season so far -
Aw, fuck it.
Who am I kidding? Any hope that these previews would engender my greater appreciation of the game was lost about the same time I stopped going/watching. It's essentially fuck this shit o'clock for the 2012 football season, and I'm ready to spike this preview.
In lieu of wasting everyone's time, here's a few bullet points of emphasis:
- With seven losses, the Utes are already assured a bowl-less winter.
- They still beat BYU this year, so huzzah for the Utes!
- Here's the NCAA statistical report.
- Their offense is shit. Their defense is above average. Both units are vastly better than their CU counterparts.
- Jordan Wynn retired.
- Sr RB John White, after breaking three records last season, has been less effective this season, and needs the CU game to crack 1,000 yards on the season.
- Beastly Sr D-lineman Star Lotulelei will be a high pick in the NFL draft.
- If head coach Kyle Whittingham can't beat CU this weekend, his seat's going to get pretty warm.
I'd like to congratulate the Utes on being the ones to put a cap on this shit-pile of a season. Better teams than you have beaten the piss out of CU this season, but you're the ones who get to land the coupe-de-grasse. Make it count; I don't want anyone bullshitting that they saw improvement this week, and using it justify Kool-aid-laced hype posts next August.
Fuck this season.
OMG, IT'S OVER! IT'S FINALLY OVER!
Alright, I have a few ground rules to go over before I put a wrap on my final football post for eight months.
- No one is to ever - and I do mean EVER - mention this season again. It never happened. Burn it from the record books. I'm talking Stalin style. Pretend the school got the death penalty for reasons we won't discuss, and just skipped the entire season.
- No one will be held accountable for staying away from Folsom for the foreseeable future. The program is so heinously awful and repugnant right now that I have legitimate fears that their disease of failure is contagious. You shouldn't be forced to catch a contact fail. Stay away if you want, hell even if you don't want.
- Should a member of the Buffs4Life crew, who got us into this mess, start telling you what you should think/do, start throwing rotten fruit at them until they go away.
- If you're in a conversation with some non-CU person who begins to make fun of the football program, immediately switch the topic to basketball and throw it back in their face. Chances are, unless you're talking to a Jayhawk, Buffs Basketball is better than whatever crap school they're representing. ROLL. DAMN. TAD.
- In those quiet times - in darkened, lonely rooms - when the topic of CU does come up amongst us, the beaten-down members of BuffsNation, I highly suggest that you apply whiskey immediately. Rinse, repeat.
Utah 1 - CU 0
GO BUFFS! BEAT AIR FORCE!