Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Whiskey Post: 2014 Gameday Hooch-o-the-week - Arizona Edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beerwhiskey for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beerwhiskey terrorists at Budweisersome distillery, you want "drinksipability." (or what a real beerwhiskey connoisseur calls "a session beerwhiskey") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

I'm calling an audible today.  I've seen these t-shirts floating around the interwebs recently, and it got me thinking about just how much beer BuffNation has drank in recent years to try and get over the mounting pile of losses.  Hint: it's a lot.  With these final three games looking to be pretty painful, I think it might be time to up the ante, so to speak, and graduate to straight GADDAMN whiskey.  I prefer bourbon, particularly Bulleit bourbon.  It's this week's gameday hooch-o-the-week.

Bourbon, as you should know, is distilled from a grain mixture that is mostly corn and aged in charred oak barrels.  The flavor is distinctive, and about as American as you get.  Undoubtedly, its development has been this country's greatest contribution to liquor culture.  Most of the best come from Kentucky, but you can find some made anywhere. 'Murika.

I've always thought, for what you get, Bulleit is a pretty fantastic bourbon.  It's smooth, flavorful, and surprisingly deep. There's a higher than normal rye component in the mash, and it's aged for six years, which is pretty long for a main-shelf brand.  Compare to others like Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, and Buffalo Trace, and I think you'll agree this is superior for the price.  I like mine over ice, but you can do what you will. Always in moderation, though, my friends.

I guarantee that it's available in your local liquor store, regardless of that's store's quality.  Your price may vary, but sales usually kick it under $20.  That'll get you through a gameday, believe me.


Happy Friday!  Go Buffs, beat the Wildcats!

No comments: