Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Beer Post: Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Missouri Edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

This is another tough week. When I think Missouri and beer, I think Budweiser, and I'll be damned If I'm going to recommend that swill (There is Boulevard Brewery in KC, but I'm saving that for later). I initially wanted to recommend Tiger Beer, but I've never actually had Tiger Beer, so that's out. Damn, am I stumped. I wasn't even 21 the last time I was in Columbia, so I can't go with the beer I got sloshed on when I was last there. I guess I'll just have to go with my favorite beer currently on the market: Arrogant Bastard Ale

(You're not worthy, bitches)

Arrogant Bastard is a man's beer. It's not pretentious, it's just arrogant. Made by Stone Brewing in Escondido, CA (Word up Rico, YEA YEA!) "the Bastard," available in convenient "it'll get ya drunk" bombers, is a full flavored American Strong Ale. Hopped and Malted till the cows come home, this beer lets you know who's boss with every sip. While slightly on the bitter side, the hop flavor does encompass the whole range of hopy-ness (sweet, citrus, floral and bitter). It's honestly impressive that a beer this strong can house so many flavors in relative balance. In the end, however, this 7.2% ABV beauty is an ass-kicking beer. Grab a bomber (or two) this weekend and cheer the Buffs onto victory!

Happy Friday! Go Buffs, Beat Mizzou!

No comments: