Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Beer Post: Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Georgia Edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

This week, in honor of a bunch of drunk Georgians descending on pristine Boulder, Colorado, I've selected Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey.

(The mason jar is a good indicator of what you're in for.)

Wait... no I haven't..... that would be a terrible decision. Not only is that whiskey not a beer, but that shit is awful. Seriously, it's really terrible. But it does bring up the issue that Georgia has a paucity of good breweries that ship beer west of the Mississippi river. As a result, I've had to dig a little deep on the logic train...

My favorite bar in Denver is the British Bulldog. Small, cozy, the Bulldog is not only a great place to drink, but it also offers the best Pakistani food in Denver. Get the Punjabi wings: they're so hot and tasty that you'll hate yourself for liking them. That said, since Bulldog is in the bar's name, and I'm desperate for ideas, I decided to go with the beer that I always get when I go there. That's why I'm naming Fuller's London Pride as my gameday Beer-o-the-week.
(Pictured: the beer in question. Not pictured: the British Bulldog)

Mmmmm. Malty goodness. Considering the strong malt flavor and the country of origin, London Pride shows an impressive array of hop flavors dancing around on your pallete. It's a great pub beer, and will go swimmingly with any social drinking event. I highly suggest you grab a pint or two the next time you get a chance.

Happy Friday! Go Buffs, Beat Georgia!

No comments: