Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Beer Post: Superbowl edition

I have absolutely no interest in the Superbowl this year.  Not only do I loathe the Green Bay Packers, but I am also growing to hate the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Other than a cheap excuse to stuff my face Sunday evening, the game holds no meaning for me.  That said, the Superbowl is an American institution, and I am nothing if not patriotic.  So there I will be Sunday evening, watching a game that doesn't matter to me in the slightest, and gorging myself on beer and deep-fried foods; it's the American way.

To celebrate this holiest day on the 'Murikun gluttony calendar, I've decided to highlight a beer native to the states of the respective combatants.  Are you going to able to find their beers in time for the game?  I'm betting no.  However, they are local favorites for the fanbases, and I'll honor their tastes.

For Wisconsin I've decided to highlight New Glarus Brewing.  Haven't heard of New Glarus?  Well, I'm not surprised since they're absolutely not available outside of the cheese state.  In fact, a University of Wisconsin fan-bar in NYC nearly had their liquor license revoked for selling the native-Wisconsin favorite Spotted Cow farm house ale.  The only way you're gonna find their brews legally is in Wisconsin.  The only style of their that I've ever tried is their Wisconsin Belgian Red.  It's heavy on the cherries, and is certainly interesting; I'm not really sure if I like it or not, but it's definitely well crafted.  If you ever head to Wisconsin, New Glarus is readily available, and you may want to try some, if only 'cause that's the only time you can.
You won't find this stuff anywhere but the cheese state. 




For Pennsylvania I'd be foolish to overlook the nations oldest operating brewery, D.G. Yuengling & Son.  Yuengling, as opposed to New Glarus, is available outside of it's home state, and you might even be able to find some in Colorado if you're lucky.  Starting operations in 1829, Yuegnling began as the Eagle brewery in Pottsville, PA.  The brewery has survived countless recessions, a depression, prohibition, and the mass production of beer from the "big-3."  Since the big-3 aren't even American anymore, they're the second largest American-owned brewery (Behind Boston Brewery).  Their staple brew is their Traditional Lager, and it's a very passable session lager.
A Pennsylvania favorite since before the Civil War.


Anyways, because of the labor dispute, this may be the final pro football game for a very long time; it better be entertaining.  Go CU-Alum Mason Crosby; I hope big-leg Mace has 20 fieldgoals.

-- 

What am I drinking on Sunday?  I'm gonna grab some Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide.  A light and refreshing pale ale, a few of these will serve me well while watching two teams I can't stand play for a title.

No comments: