Covering University of Colorado sports, mostly basketball, since 2010

Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Beer Post: Gameday Beer-o-the-week - Bye Week edition

Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

With the bye-weekend there is really no tailgating or watch-party opportunity. In that vein, I'm not going to run out to the store to get something special for a plain ole lazy weekend. So this week's tailgate beer-o-the-week will be whatever I have in my fridge. After a quick peek I'm ready to tab New Belgium's Ranger IPA as my BOTW.



I've always had a problem with New Belgium. Sure, anything they make is better than any American Style Light Lager that advertises on television, but I've never really enjoyed my New Belgium drinking experience. Honestly, I think Fat Tire tastes weird. About the only NB beer I can stomach is Ranger (That and 1554, which is awesome). Released just this past year, Ranger is a passable high production IPA. It's got all the right ingredients in all the right places, but it doesn't seem to have any inspiration or magic to it. It tastes good, I guess, but it's all rather uninspired. It's just an IPA. Sad, really.

Anywhoo, I got this 6-pack of from a friend, so I will respect the gift and christen my weekend with Ranger.


Happy Friday! Go Buffs, beat BYE WEEK!

No comments: